Penal Code Section 518, defines extortion as obtaining property from another, with his or her consent, or an official act is obtained from a public officer, which is induced by a wrongful use of force or fear, or under color of official right.
Fear that constitutes extortion, may be induced by threats:
- To do an unlawful injury to the person or property of the individual being threatened or a third person;
- To accuse the individual threatened or a relative or member of their family of any crime;
- To expose a disgrace, deformity or crime of the threatened person;
- To expose a secret of the threatened person; or
- To report the immigration status or suspected immigration status.
Contact Orange County Criminal Defense Attorney Ali Komaili if you have been charged with Extortion or any other criminal matter in Orange County.